San Luis Resort in Galveston TXWhen the Board of Directors held a spring meeting at this hotel a couple of years ago, they were very impressed with the property. It is a Landry property, and there is a Landry's Steakhouse across the street from the hotel. Just down the street is an amusement park area called the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier. For those of us who like the beach, it's right in front of us on the Gulf of Mexico.
Dr. Todd Underwood
The Efficacy of Cleaning Bird Feeders with 10% Bleach Wipes to Reduce Bacteria
From the Abstract:
...Overall, our results suggest that bleach wipes may be a simple and useful sanitation method for bird feeders if organic matter can be removed first using another cleaning technique.
One of the benefits that adds value to your WBFI membership is the use of the WBFI membership logo. This logo can be used on print promotional materials, packaging, website, and other applications.
All WBFI logos are trademarked by the WBFI and under the ownership and control of the WBFI.
Depending on the file format your graphic artist needs, here are the WBFI membership logos in color:
Nyjer® Trademark Usage Guidelines
Download PDF document
The Wild Bird Feeding Industry (WBFI) trade association serves the businesses who support the hobby of backyard wild bird feeding. Our members include the packagers and processors of wild bird feed products, manufacturers of wild bird feeders and accessories like poles and baffles, distributors of backyard wild bird feeding supplies, retailers, and supporting companies like packaging manufacturers and transportation companies.
In this area you will find some of our industry broadcasts. We hope you find this information helpful. If you would like more information about our organization, we invite you to visit our website www.wbfi.org.
Our Mission Statement:
WBFI is an association dedicated to the progressive expansion of the wild bird and backyard wildlife feeding industry. As the voice of the industry, we accomplish this mission by serving the interests of our members through promoting responsible feeding, creating alliances, removing barriers, safeguarding gains and enhancing the experience of the consumer.
- Broadcasts you may need to read
- WBFI FSMA FAQ's on Preventive Controls
- Includes a link to the FDA website so you can review the FAQ's on this topic.
- WBFI State of the Birds Reports
- Canadian and US reports on the sizes of wild bird populations.
- WBFI Chronicles June 2012
- My Birdz Network information, Annual Meeting dates, new WBFI members.
- Rat attraction to wild bird feed
- Wild bird feed will not attract rats if rats are not already in the neighborhood. Read what will attract rats and how to manage wild bird feeding if rats are already present.
- WBFI FDA FSMA 2012 1st Quarter Progress
- FDA is required to provide Congress and the public with quarterly updates on the agency's progress on the FSMA rules. Read what was accomplished in the first quarter of 2012.
- WBFI FSMA High Risk Facilities Defined
- Read this WBFI Member Broadcast for information on what FDA considers to be a high risk facility.
- WBFI AAFCO Label Proposed
- Label format to be used on wild bird feed products containing added vitamins or minerals.
- FDA Amends Records Availability Req's Feb 24, 2012
- FSMA rules for records availability are expanded from those of the Bioterrorism Act giving FDA authority to examine additional records.
- WBFI Food Safety Legislation Update January 2012
- Regulations for the US Food Safety Legislation may be released soon.
- Pennsylvania Game Commission Article
- Press Release gives good information on promoting responsible feeding.
- ABC Press Release 0411
- American Bird Conservancy releases research results on viability of bird-ingested seeds.
- Bird Feed Label - Single Ingredient
- Proposed label format has been developed to submit to AAFCO for inclusion in the Non-Pet Food Label Guide.
- FSMA update, January 2011
- Food Safety Legislation signed by Pres. Obama on January 4, 2011. Includes link to NGFA document with preliminary information.
- PROJECT WILDBIRD Clean Data Release Announcement
- PROJECT WILDBIRD (R) data is available to WBFI members.
- HACCP for Packaging
- Models for packaging materials have been announced by FSAP and IoPP
- WBFI BT Prior Notice Update
- WBFI Oregon Excise Tax #1
- Oregon announced HB3303 had been sponsored. 10% excise tax on bird feed proposed.
Wild Bird Feeding Industry (WBFI)
West End NC 27281
Bird Feeding Banned:
Pennsylvania Game Commission ban on bear feeding, effective March 22, 2003
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Proposed Rules June 25, 2002 update
How the Industry responded to negative press
Reportable Food Registry (RFR) FDA report for September 8, 2009 through September 7, 2010
US Federal Government Food Safety Legislation
Oregon Noxious Weed Seed Rules
Bioterrorism Act Information
Records Maintenance requirements under the BT Act
CTPAT (Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism)
FAST (Free and Secure Trade)
CARA (Conservation and Reinvestment Act)
The WBFI values its Industry Alliance Partners, several of whom are the experts on the diseases affecting wild birds. We encourage you to contact these Industry Alliance Partners for specific assistance.
The information you will find in this website is very general and is intended to provide you with basic information on the issue.
Aflatoxin in wild bird feed
West Nile Virus
West Nile Virus Poster for use with consumer education
US and Canadian Crops used in Bird Feeding
Access to accurate and timely information on crops during the production season in the US and Canada is an important management tool. WBFI and the network of members can help you stay on top of the situation.
Links to Internet Information Sources
Use these links to go to frequently updated information.
National Sunflower Association
USDA Economics, Statistics, and Market Information System (ESMIS)
Links to Reports of Interest
USDA Historical Track Record
Released in April 2008, this document tracks US production of major crops. Sunflower data may be found on page 134.
US 2011 Planting Intentions from the US Department of Agriculture (released March 31, 2011) - download the PDF file
US 2011 Planted Acres report from the US Department of Agriculture (released June 30, 2011) - download the PDF file
6 Steps to Turn your Backyard into a Sanctuary for Birds
ALLERGEN INFORMATION: The ingredient label on this product accurately reflects the contents of this package added by design. This product is processed, packaged and/or stored in facilities that also may process, package and/or store peanuts, tree nuts of all types, wheat, eggs, milk products and soy and thus may also contain particles of one or more of those ingredients.
Watch out for misinformation!
An allergen statement is NOT required on wild bird feed because it is commercial animal feed. FDA has told WBFI this repeatedly. Sometimes we hear that a company is told it has to have an allergen statement on packaging, and that is misinformation. If this every changes, WBFI will let you know.
2. Return it to WBFI Headquarters by fax or scan to e-mail to email@example.com
3. Pay the $100 annual fee
4. As soon as the fee is paid, the logos will be sent to your company contact by e-mail
Your participation in the program renews annually on July 1 with your annual WBFI membership renewal invoice. You will see a line item on your invoice to renew your participation and support of this valuable WBFI member program, and you may pay by check or credit card.
1. Feeder or Package must include labeling appropriate for the birds that will use the feeder and the recommended ingredients.
2. Seed feeders must have a minimum 1-1/2” diameter refilling port.
3. Hanging devices must be made from metal such as wire, chain, or cable and must be securely attached.
4. Seed flows appropriately for recommended ingredients.
5. Cleanable; instructions for care and use must be included.
6. Drainage system suitable to the feeder type.
Standards for bird houses, bird baths and accessories remain to be developed.
More definitions are in development now, and these, too, will be submitted to the membership for consideration prior to adoption by the WBFI. Standards for Suet products, Nectars, and Fruits remain in development.
Mixed Products: When all the seeds in the mix meet the WBFI Quality Standard, then the mix meets the industry standard and the Standards logo may be used on the product.
Karen Burns, ETO Sterilization, Standards Committee Co-Chair
Dave Netten, All Seasons Wild Bird Store, Standards Committee Co-Chair
Ken Johnson, D&D Commodities Ltd.
Mike Dunn, Duncraft
Crystal Hiatt, Hiatt Mfg.
WBFI thanks these individuals and the others who served on WBFI standards workgroups. We appreciate their time and dedication to the industry!
Overall Objective of WBFI Quality Standards Program:
To help consumers have a good experience so they continue to feed wild birds.
As an industry member, your business will be impacted by WBFI Standards in the future. Those companies that adhere to industry standards generally see an increase in business as consumer recognition of the standards increases because consumers want to know the quality of a product they are buying. Your involvement in and your use of the WBFI Quality Standards program stands to be a win-win for your company!
The WBFI Quality Standards Program is a voluntary standards program. You are responsible and accountable for ensuring that the product you sell that shows the WBFI Quality Standards logo meets the standard
2013 US and Canada Consumer Market Research Presentation
2014 US and Canada Consumer Market Research Presentation
You'll find information on both 2013 and 2014 compiled in the report, and the data for the US and Canada is calculated together in the slides.
2015 US Consumer Market Research Presentation
2016 US and Canada Consumer Market Research Presentation
Due to time constraints, the complete 55-slide presentation prepared for the WBFI by AYTM could not be presented at the Annual Meeting, The WBFI and the WBFI Research Foundation are making this file available to WBFI members for free in addition to Judy Hoysak's presentation.
2016 FULL US and Canada 55-slide Consumer Market Research Presentation
The 1600 lines of raw data for each country are available as a recognition gift from the WBFI Research Foundation when your company contributes $750 to the Foundation. Download the pledge form now to get your raw data in Excel emailed to you as soon as your pledge is paid!
Welcome to WBFI
The Wild Bird Feeding Industry is THE trade association for the wild bird and backyard wildlife feeding industry.